Current Board Members
Natalie A. Trachsel, Chair Person (Sheffield)
Judith Reich, Vice Chair Person (Avon Lake)
Traci Shed, Secretary (Elyria)
David Ashenhurst, Chief Governance Officer (Oberlin)
Baker, Edward J. (Avon Lake)
Billman, Sheryl A. (Grafton)
Ferguson, Maurita (Elyria)
Frierson, Tracey A. (N. Ridgeville)
Heron, James (Oberlin)
Hribar, Joseph (Lorain)
Lee, Rhoda (Lorain)
Rodriguez, Natalio, (Lorain)
Leano-Sellers, Cynthia (Grafton)
Skladan, Ruth (Elyria)
Smith, Andrew (Sheffield Lake)
Washington, Sanford (Lorain)
Mental Health Board Duties
The Lorain County Board of Mental Health serves as the local authority for community mental health services. The board is the county agency responsible for the planning, evaluation and funding of needed programs and facilities for mental health services. The board assesses community mental health needs including setting priorities and developing plans for the operation of community mental health services and programs in Lorain County.
With several exceptions to this schedule, the Board meets on the fourth Thursday of each month at 4:30 p.m., at the Lorain County Board of Mental Health, 1173 North Ridge Road East, Suite 102 - Community Room, Lorain, Ohio, 44055. (See the Events Calendar for more details.)
- Executive – The Executive Committee shall be comprised of the Officers of the Board. The Executive Committee shall serve to consult with the Chairperson of the Board on items including but not limited to the development of the Board agenda. The Chairperson of the Board shall chair the Executive Committee.
- Finance – The Finance Committee shall review all expenditures of the Board and monthly financial statements and shall report on these to the full Board. The Committee will review the annual budget proposed by the Executive Director and shall make recommendations on the annual budget to the full Board. The Committee shall review results from the annual county financial audit and monitor the implementation of any corrective action plans required by the audit.
- Membership – The Membership Committee shall propose a slate of candidates for Board officer positions by the June Board meeting each year. The Committee shall also conduct interviews of potential Board members and shall make recommendations for appointment to the appointing authorities to fill vacancies. The Committee shall endeavor to insure that the composition of the Board reflects the demographic characteristics of Lorain County.
- Joint Mental Health and AOD Committee – The Joint MH/AOD Committee shall be comprised of not more than three members. This Committee is responsible to meet with members of the Lorain County Alcohol and Drug Abuse Services Board to explore opportunities to enhance cooperation and collaboration as well as to look for opportunities for administrative efficiencies.
- Governance – The Governance Committee shall review Board policies and recommend policy revisions to the full Board for adoption. Any Board member or the Executive Director may suggest policy changes for the Governance Committee to consider. All discussions regarding policy changes shall include input from the Executive Director. The Governance Committee shall monitor and conduct self-evaluation surveys of board members to inform the future educational training needs of the Board. These surveys shall be conducted not later than June of each year.
- Community Plan and Review – The Community Plan and Review Committee shall evaluate new programs and determine service gaps and unmet needs in the community. The Committee shall also establish methods to be used to monitor the performance of programs funded by the Board. The Committee shall facilitate the development of a schedule of regular presentations to the full Board pertaining to current programming and emerging needs in the community.
Board Member Qualifications
To serve on the Lorain County Board of Mental Health, one must be a resident of Lorain County and have an interest in Mental Health. Certain restrictions exist. A board member may not be related to any member of the Board of County Commissioners. A board member may not serve on the board of any agency under contract with the board or be employed by any such agency. A board member may not be employed by the Lorain County Board of Mental Health or be related to any person employed by the Lorain County Board of Mental Health.
Board Member Application Form
If you are interested in serving on the Lorain County Board of Mental Health, Click on the link below for an Application Form.
Completed application forms should be mailed to the Lorain County Board of Mental Health, Attn: Nominating Committee, 1173 North Ridge Road East, Suite 101, Lorain, OH 44055.